Congratulations! Your obstetrician has confirmed you are expecting a little bundle of joy. Your first trimester is calculated from the first day of your last period and lasts till the end of Week 12. Most women will discover their pregnancy around 5 -6 weeks into the first trimester.
As your body releases pregnancy hormones, you may notice several physical changes and symptoms in your first trimester, such as:
- Constant tiredness
- Nausea, with or without vomiting, either throughout the day or when triggered by certain smells
- Swollen and tender breasts
- Unpredictable mood swings
These symptoms vary between individuals; some women experience severe forms of sickness while others do not get any at all.
These changes may seem overwhelming, especially if you are a first-time mother. To overcome morning sickness, eat slowly and in small amounts throughout the day, and avoid going on an empty stomach. Pinpoint and avoid the foods and smells which trigger your sickness. Drink plenty of fluids and consume fiber in your diet to manage constipation. It is important to avoid exerting yourself and get plenty of rest during this period to boost your energy levels.
Antenatal care refers to the care pregnant mothers receive from an obstetrician throughout the course of their pregnancy.
Your first trimester is calculated from the first day of your last period and lasts till the end of Week 12.
- Pre-conception Health Screening
- Antenatal Scans & Tests
- Postpartum Check-up
- Mommy Makeover (Post-pregnancy)
Pre-conception Health Screening
- Detailed Consultation and Review of Medical History
- Basic Gynaecological Examination (Ultrasound Scan)
- Blood Grouping
- Diabetes Screening
- Full Blood Count
- Hepatitis B Screening
- Rubella IgG Antibody
- HIV & STD Screening
- Medical Report
Understand why pre-pregnancy care is important for a healthy pregnancy.
Antenatal Scans & Tests
- Chronic Villus Sampling
- Dating Scan
- Doppler Ultrasound Scan for Foetal Surveillance
- Foetal Anomaly Screening Scan
- Growth Scan
- Viability Scan
- 3D & 4D Ultrasound Scans
- OSCAR (First Trimester Screening for Down’s Syndrome)
- Non-invasive Prenatal Tests (NIPT)
- Pre-eclampsia Assessment in Mothers
- Routine Antenatal Blood Tests
- Screening for Gestational Diabetes
- Vaginal Delivery
- Assisted Vaginal Delivery (Forceps or Vacuum)
- Caesarean Section
- Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC)
Find out more about the various Delivery Methods.
- Review of Mother’s Physical and Mental Well-being
- Pelvic Examination
- Wound Inspection
- Laboratory Tests
- Health Education (Breastfeeding, Birth Control, Weight Reduction)
Learn more about Postpartum Recovery.
Mommy Makeover (Post-pregnancy)*
- Treatments for stretch-marks, loose skin and excess body fat
- Managing post-partum hair loss and facial skin changes
- Improving sagging and deflated breasts
- Post-pregnancy tummy concerns
Find out more about mommy makeover services at (an SMG clinic)
Need to consult an O&G specialist?
The male and female O&G specialists in our clinic network are located at multiple locations in Singapore for easy and quick access.