HIFU for Fibroids and Adenomyosis
For ladies who suffer from fibroid or adenomyosis problems, one of the most common treatment option is surgery. However, just last year, another non-invasive treatment option was made available in Singapore. High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound or HIFU, is a gentle and non-surgical treatment method that uses ultrasound waves to treat some types of fibroids and adenomyosis.
In this article, A/Prof Fong Yoke Fai who is specially trained in performing HIFU, will be showing us how the procedure is done.
The HIFU Treatment Process
- HIFU is performed as a day surgery procedure that typically takes about 1-2 hours.
- Slight sedation will be given during the procedure.
- The patient will lie prone on the bed over the ultrasound probe of the HIFU machine. This probe focuses the ultrasound waves on the fibroid or adenomyosis that is being treated.
- The gynaecologist performing the procedure will be seated at the control panel within walking distance of the patient. MRI scans of the patient’s womb will be displayed on the screen at the control panel along with real-time ultrasound images.
- This allows the doctor to maneuver the focal point of the ultrasound probe in response to how the targeted area of fibroid or adenomyosis responds to the HIFU treatment.
Who is Suitable for HIFU?
It is important to note that HIFU might not be suitable for all ladies with fibroids and adenomyosis. It depends on your age as well as the size, number and site of your fibroids.
HIFU is generally recommended for younger ladies and ladies who want to get pregnant in the future as it does not leave any cuts or wounds on the uterus. Find out more about how HIFU can treat fibroids.
If you are interested in finding out if HIFU is suitable for you, make an appointment with A/Prof Fong today!
A/Prof Fong’s Place of Practice
290 Orchard Road #16-07/08
Tel: +65 6736 1000